Here’s How to Detox After A Holiday Filled With Overindulgence
The holidays are a time of peace, love, joy, and… perhaps (most severely) a time for overindulgence! For many, the holidays leave us feeling tired, sick, bloated, and full of bad eating and drinking habits. All those sweets and those bottles of soda you spend the entire year trying to avoid have all been consumed in the past two months time. Is that you? It might be time to detox.
If you have gone off track with your healthy diet and exercise routine, trust us when we tell you, you’re not alone!
Here’s some helpful advice to get you back on track towards a healthier lifestyle.
Detox- there’s no better time to take a detox than right after the holidays. A detox is a great way to cleanse your body while at the same time resetting your newly found eating habits. Here’s a list of different detox programs that might suit you.
- Drink lots of water. Try making a detox water with lemon, mint, and cucumbers. Drink as much as you can!
- Eat vitamin rich foods that are low in calories. Fruits and vegetables and lean proteins such as chicken and fish.
- Replace your multiple coffees with green tea. Yep, all those vente lattes you’ve been drinking all season long can be supplemented with the natural antioxidants found in green tea.
- Completely cut out sodium rich and processed foods. Try to stick with a whole food diet.
- Say goodbye to simple carbohydrates and sugary foods for the next month or so. Give your body a chance to work through the incredible amount of carbs that it’s been given recently.
Daily Exercise- we know how hard it is to start exercising after a long season of indulgence and avoidance. It stinks getting back out there after a nice long hiatus. Getting your heart working is the best thing you can do after two months of overindulging. Think about it this way, you just abused your body for 8 weeks straight. It started with the Halloween candy, right? What do we do to an abused victim? We give them love and nourishment. Love hurts, but we do it anyway. If it’s too cold to get outside, try for a relaxing yoga routine or a game on the Wii U. Here are some suggestions that might work for you.
- Go out for a daily walk
- Start a new program at the gym
- Go roller skating with your kids
- Learn Yoga
- Do squats at your desk
Get on a healthy sleeping plan– our bodies are miraculous instruments. When given the right combination of healthy habits, our bodies are capable of healing themselves. Your sleep cycle is a big part of that. Here’s what to do:
- Get at least 6 hours of sleep each night
- Adjust your body and soul by giving yourself the same bedtime
- Reduce screen time before bed
- Read before you sleep
- Limit caffeine and nicotine throughout the day
By doing some or all of these things you will find your recovery process to be a swift one. The New Year is upon us and what better time to make healthy changes in your life? Your body will thank you for this detox plan.
You may enjoy this related article Exhausted All the Time? This Could Be Why…
©Love Wide Open