One of the defining characteristics of humanity–and one of the more positive ones–is our “quest for something greater” attitudes.
When you become stagnant in your life and strive for nothing, you become nothing more than you already are. You are stuck in your life. The spirit wants to soar. It has a deep longing to be free. When you refuse to grow, when you turn away an opportunity to be a better person, you become a prisoner to the world.
Having a desire to change into a better person is different than knowing how to. Making the right choice to change for the better is easier said than done. Why? Well, it’s like traveling. The closer you get to your destination, the less likely you are to change your route, especially if that route ends up being longer than anticipated.
Becoming a better person means you make the choice to dictate your own life. Being a good person or a not so, it is all your choice. For every choice you make in your life, there is a consequence, either good or bad. That is up to you.
Here are 5 ways you can become a better person starting TODAY!
1. Be Honest With Yourself: The first step to solving any problem is to first acknowledge the problem exists. The same is true of being a better person. The first step to becoming a better person is to first acknowledge that you need to be.
2. Be Open to The Views Of Others: Empathy is a quality that our society is lacking. When you are open to viewing the world from the perspectives of others, you will not only open yourself up to the world, but you will open your heart space for a richer experience.
3. Stop Comparing Yourself to Others: You are you and that’s enough. It’s enough for the people who love you and it should be enough for you too. Comparing yourself to others will do nothing for you except create a gap between you and humanity. It is a way to blame your insecurities on others and in the end, will only make you a bitter person. It also destroys relationships.
4. Go Out of Your Way to Help Others: Like it or not, we all have to share this planet with others. We all have to deal with people. In other words, not everything is about you all the time. Go out of your way to help others. When you help others live a better life, ultimately you are helping yourself do the same.
5. Practice Gratitude: It is so easy to long for the things we don’t have. Sometimes we look so far ahead at the things we are missing in life we forget to be grateful for the things we already have.
As you might imagine becoming a better person is something that doesn’t happen instantaneously. However, by practicing these five methods, you will beyond a doubt be able to begin the journey. The fact that you are reading this article, to begin with, is the start of your amazing journey already.
You may also enjoy: 7 Ways to Gain Mental Strength
©Love Wide Open